As Dream Tending offers: The people, landscapes, and creatures of the world are forever dreaming. You experience their presence as living images of the world psyche. From the beginning, they are the creators, the architects, the originators of what appears in dreams.
In the world of today, it is more urgent than ever to listen to voices of the dreaming psyche tell of the circumstances and conditions of the world soul. Yes, at times you will be confronted with the nightmarish. At other times you will hear intimations—hints—of the emerging possible.
I invite you, I urge you, to take some time and listen deeply to living images speaking on behalf of themselves. In community, we will share what we hear. With support, we will listen to the voices of both the frightening and the promising. Then we will respond, not react, accordingly. It is time to heed the call. It is time to act on behalf of psyche’s generative intentions. This will take courage. Together, let’s make this happen.
1) Let a nighttime or waking dream find you. Notice how it makes a claim on your attention.
2) Bring your awareness to the elements of this visitation—the characters, settings, emotions, and actions. Which of these living images comes forward?
3) Breathe; feel the full pulse of your body. Turn to the imaginal presence that is now in your company. Greet this figure, body to body. Pause.
4) Take a few moments and witness. Let go of the need to explain to yourself what this “means.”
5) Listen. What voice, sound, or gesture begins to come forward into awareness? Be patient. Repeat this sequence a few times. Allow what is emerging between you and the living images to evolve.
6) What intimations, hints, as subtle as they may be, present themselves?
7) Notice what is being asked of you, what actions are being inspired.
8) Find community. Befriend your courage. On behalf of the psyche in the world, enact.
Inside The Curious Mind
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
― Margaret Mead.
Learn the Power, Purpose and Intelligence of Dreams
Unleash your creativity and innate genius
Stephen Aizenstat, Ph.D., is the founder of Dream Tending, Pacifica Graduate Institute, and the Academy of Imaginal Arts and Sciences. He is a world-renowned professor of depth psychology, an imagination specialist, and an innovator. He has served as an organizational consultant to major companies and institutions, and as a depth psychological content advisor to Hollywood film makers. He has lectured extensively in the U.S., Asia, and Europe. He is affiliated with the Earth Charter International project through the United Nations, where he has spoken. Professor Aizenstat is the Chancellor Emeritus and Founding President of Pacifica Graduate Institute. He has collaborated with many notable masters in the field including Joseph Campbell, James Hillman, Marion Woodman, and Robert Johnson.